The latest Internet phenomenon takes place in 30 second flashes. In a short two week span, tens of thousands of videos have been uploaded to YouTube and some garnering millions of views. Each video has it’s own unique interpretation of the same electronic dance mix song by Baauer.
There are versions underwater, on ski slopes, in locker rooms and on office desktops. The concept is the same for all. One person dances while others go about their normal business. The person usually wears a mask or some sort of limited disguise.The beat picks up, the video cuts and then entire group erupts into a spontaneous, non-choreographed breakout of “dance” in a variety of costumes. Move over Psy, Gangnam Style is out. Now, we are crazed by the Harlem Shake.
College baseball teams, celebrities and high school clubs have Harlem Shake videos. Start-ups and tech companies have created their version of the Harlem Shake. Gyms, mega brands and skateboard makers have a video. College campuses are doing the shake. Media companies, the military and even the newsroom have created their own version. From all around the world, the Harlem Shake is shaking it up!
There are no skills required, just one song, a video camera, and a costume. It is self-evident dance skills are NOT a prerequisite. In fact, the less skills the better. Even Beanie Babies are making a comeback with their Harlem Shake.
Who knows how long the Harlem Shake madness will continue. It may be short lived and over before the real March Madness begins or it may go on for a long time. Regardless, it is time to jump on the bandwagon. Avoid the critics, naysayer and those that don’t get it. They won’t and it doesn’t matter. The benefits of making the video outweigh those that will forever be refusing to play along. We need to lighten up, have some fun and laugh! It’s time. It’s time to Harlem Shake.
Here are a few of the reasons why you should convince your friends, colleagues or teammates to make a 30 second video:
1. Creativity – We all have an inner desire to use our creative skills and what better way to express yourself then dressing up and dancing with your friends at work. Let the creative juices flow. We need a way to express ourselves and sometimes casual Friday’s aren’t enough. Let the creative side of your business take center stage and watch in amusement at all the pent up imagination in your office.
2. Team Building – A company that dances together, stays together. There is a reason to get everyone out of their chair for 30 seconds of craziness. It’s uplifting and rewarding to know you can work hard and play hard together. Show your spontaneity. We are all under a lot of stress to deliver, on time or ahead of schedule. What better way to be all in “it” together!
3. Cooperation – Everyone has a role in the video.There are no superstars. Whether you put a banana peel on your head or give heart-to-heart resuscitation to a stuffed dinosaur, there is a place for you in the breakout version. All you have to do is show up and shake. When is the last time you could get an entire group to center on a single initiative? Cooperation is underrated. It might spill over into other projects or initiatives.
4. Culture – Who knew your workmates were so much fun? Who knew that all your workmates had a costume waiting to be worn? One is not to question the attire, simply let the values you post on your website standout in a 30 second commercial of your diversity in action. Show why you are a best place to work.
5. Fun – All business, all the time is so 80s. Let it go. We want to laugh with each other, we want to shed tears of joy, we want to get up and dance! If we enjoy what we do, we will do better. Give everyone the gift of having fun together. Recruiting might be a little easier when employees are talking about how much they love their job.
6. Promotion – Maybe, just maybe you create a video and it gets millions of views. Out of curiosity, a few of the million viewers then go to your website to find out more about the cool, fun people in the video. A little PR never hurts any business. Give us a positive reason to talk about you.
It is time to shake it up! Happiness is contagious. Get the crew together, make a video and add to our entertainment. We are searching out the videos. Do it before the craze is over and we are on to the next. We are laughing and we love watching you have make fun together. It says a lot about your business.
Jamie Glass, Founder, President and CMO of Artful Thinkers
You must be logged in to post a comment.